With technology rapidly replacing long-held business practices, the move to a remote office style has become popular, but it’s not for everyone. The nineteenth Managing an Agency Business (MAB19) event explored the pros and cons to the new distributed model, and how to tell if your company benefits more from having a localized team in one space or kicking the office rent for good.
Communication via Design hosted a panel discussion on “Your Agency’s Work Environment” with topics exploring using co-working facilities, managing distributed/remote teams, building company culture and much more. Panelists included company founders and principals, Vicki Adjami of Communication via Design, Neal Quesnal of WhatArmy and Rob McLeod of Neoscape, moderated by Ross Beyeler of Growth Spark. Of course, pizza, beer and networking extended the conversation before and after the panel session!
Here are some of the prevalent questions discussed:
- Can a remote team keep up with the same level of collaboration and brand identity?
- Will we lose business because people won’t like our working model?
- How do we handle employee accountability?
- What online tools should we consider for project management and time tracking?
- How do we properly recruit and ensure that employees are right for remote work?
Tools mentioned and recommended at the event include:
Final tip: Teams thinking about becoming distributed should check out the book Performance Partnerships by Robert Glazer.
The evening was a big success and by popular demand, a follow up event on the topic will be held in the coming months. Stay in touch — more to come!